After a long day at work it is all too easy to reach for a ready meal that you know will be unsatisfying, flavourless and uninspiring. But what if we told you that making a delicious and filling Risotto with Salami and Borlotti would be not only quick, but also incredibly easy?
Let us share with you one of our favourite simple meals to make, perfect comfort food with minimal effort.
Risotto with Salami & Borlotti (serves 6)
Borlotti Beans – 200g
Chicken Stock – 1 Litre
Large Onion –thinly sliced
Garlic – 2 cloves, crushed
Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 2 tablespoons
Milano Salami – 250 grams, skin removed, roughly chopped
Carnaroli Rice – 350 grams
White Wine – 1 small glass
Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese – as much or little as you like
- Add the Borlotti Beans to a saucepan of water and simmer until the beans are tender. When they are done, remove from the pan and set aside without draining.
- Add Chicken Stock to the pan and gently simmer just below the boiling point whilst you prep the Carnaroli Rice.
- In a separate pan add the Onion and Garlic together with your Extra Virgin Olive Oil and stir over a medium-low heat until the both softens. Stir in the chopped Milano Salami and Carnaroli Rice. Continue to cook for 5 minutes or until the Salami has softened and the rice is well coated. Add White Wine, raise the heat and cook until the Carnaroli Rice has absorbed the White Wine.
- Stir in the Borlotti Beans with their liquid and continue cooking until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Add two ladles of your simmering Chicken Broth and stir well. As the Rice absorbs the broth, add more, one ladle at a time, stirring continuously.
- Once the Carnaroli Rice is cooked, but still al dente, remove from the heat and add Salt and Pepper to taste. Stir in as much finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese as you like. Put the lid back on the pan for 5 minutes and then serve.
The best thing is, this dish tastes great reheated too, so if there is any left, you could always have the rest for lunch the next day!
If you want to end the meal on a sweet note, we have plenty of treats for you to choose from here, no cooking required, for maximum enjoyment with minimal effort.
We hope you love this dish as much as we, and our families do.
Carlo and Andrea Diforti